“Amakaya” means “home” and we strive to make Amakaya Backpackers hostel & self-catering your “home away from home”
We are 300 metres away from Main Street, Plettenberg Bay’s shops, restaurants, pubs and outdoor market. 500m further down the road is the popular Central Beach. Our upstairs bar and open air veranda offers magnificent views of the Tsitsikamma mountain range, the lagoon and the bay. This is a great place to relax after a busy day’s activities or for the early risers to watch the sunrise. At night you can swop stories of your adventures while sitting around the bonfire or just relax in one of our hammocks. To keep yourself busy, visit our Adventure Centre where we will help arrange things to do, including tours to get you out and about in the Garden Route area. We will also arrange transport to these activities if you do not have your own. Car hire/rental is also available on our website.
Adventures and things to do within 25km of Amakaya Backpackers are:
- Whale and dolphin watching
- Eagle Encounters
- Wolf Sanctuary
- Snake Sanctuary
- Robberg Nature Reserve
- Adventure Land
- Birds of Eden
- Elephant experience
- Scuba Diving
- Surfing and surfing lessons
- Jet Ski
- Paddle ski
- Boat cruises
- Deep sea fishing
- Horse riding
- Bridge walk
- Quad biking
- Swimming with seals
- High speed adventure boat rides …and many more!
Venturing further afield: All available 25km+ from Plettenberg Bay!
- Bungy Jump – highest in the world!
- Canopy tours – ride the treetops.
- Black Water tubing – ride the river
- Cango Caves
- Ostrich farms
- Catamaran cruise
- Mitchells brewery
- Train museum
- Great White Shark cage diving
- Otter Trail
Half day and full day tours are also available and can be planned to suite your requirements. Our Adventure Centre will tell you what is available and help you plan your personalised tour. Accommodation We offer a variety of accommodation – rooms for a bit of privacy or dorms for those who don’t mind sharing. Our rooms and dorms are named after nearby popular mountain passes.
- Montagu twin room – 2 single beds, valuables safe, built-in cupboards. Choice of 2 shared bathrooms opposite room.
- Kaaimans twin room – 2 single beds, valuables safe, built-in cupboards. Choice of 2 shared bathrooms opposite room.
- Outeniqua en-suite room- double bed and 2 bunk beds. Full bathroom, private balcony, valuables safe, built-in cupboards.
- Homtini double room – double bed. Lovely view. Shared bathroom.
- Baviaans Private dorm – 2 bunk beds. Shared bathroom.
- Karatara Private dorm – 2 bunk beds. Shared bathroom.
- Bloukrans dorm – 4 bunk beds, en-suite bathroom, private entrance.
- Meiringspoort dorm – 8 bunk beds, own bathroom.
- Tradouw dorm – 10 bunk beds, kitchen area, en-suite bathroom, private entrance.
Breakfast can be arranged on request. Baz Bus stop and bookings.